In all this world, there is nothing more important than appreciating the preciousness of our human embodiment and doing all we can to increase health and happiness for ourselves and others - Tarthang Tulku

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Meditations on Kimbella: Musings on Smut

The way to see by Faith is to shut the Eye of Reason. - Benjamin Franklin

It is the eye of other people that ruin us. If I were blind I would want, neither fine clothes, fine houses or fine furniture. - Benjamin Franklin

It is the mind that makes the body. - Sojurner Truth


Today as I was walking home from teaching a yoga class and having a brain storm session about the WORLD Y.O.G.A. project, a boy handed me this postcard:



Such a vibrant invitation indeed to Kimbella's birthday bash, which is purportedly a celebration of "Love & Hip Hop". Now, I know these kinds of things go on in the world, and while I have been accused of being oblivious to the world around me, my friend Josh said to me tonight, " You seem like the kind of person who worries about everything but somehow looks like you're worried about nothing." That was the greatest compliment anyone has paid me in quite some and it couldn't be more true, by some freak of nature. I'm extremely worried about how we are going to uplift humanity as a human race. I am also worried that Kimbella has perhaps never seen The Birth of Venus or listened to The Faure Requiem or read Little Women. I'm also worried that Kimbella does not have any pants.

After the boy handed me this card, I continued my walk and came upon this gargantuan head of Benjamin Franklin, which made the intersection of past, present and future even more bewildering.

Something about this photo got under my skin and so I shot this first photo in what I call, the Meditations on Kimbella series: I don't have any explanation for the origin of this particular expression. It speaks vaguely of a snow leopard lost in the concrete jungle, but mostly I think it's the expression of a being who wishes to raise the wonder higher and is perplexed that a virtually naked well-oiled bottom found its way onto a Birthday invitation. What happened to ponies and rainbows? Birds and butterflies? Unicorns and cupcakes? Fairies and flowers? Balloons and sparkles? Cake and ice cream? Sigh. Kimbella, angel, your not leaving very much to the imagination, gorgeous. We must reignite curiosity and imagination in the hearts of mankind. Haven't you ever seen Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory, Kimbella, bella? I think someone needs to make an all black cast version of that movie, by the way. It's Time. Kimbella, you can play the brat who wants her golden ticket and she wants it now.

After that first photo, I sought solace in the company of some trees and tried to capture with my shoddy camera and my go-go gadget arms, some more of what I was feeling about Kimbella, Ben Franklin, The WORLD Y.O.G.A. Project, and William Penn's vision for the City of Brotherly Love as a "holy experiment." I reminded myself, gently, while people stared at me taking pictures of myself that Dr. Martin Luther King said, " Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." This propensity I have to take photos of myself will some day translate nicely into film, though for now, this is where things are. We make the best with what we have at the Time. Anyway, I don't think a photographer would be able to capture these moments as I am able to, mostly because I feel them to be my one-on-one conversations with God and because I'm a strange girl, the kind Robert Smith sings about--- " I think you come from another world", he says, and I smile.

Here is Meditations on Kimbella, No. 2 In this photo, I was praying, "Dear God, please bring Kimbella some cute skirts or pants for her birthday. Also, please allow me to meet Kimbella some day, perhaps have tea and talk about love, hip hop, and birthday parties. Also, God, please speak to Kimbella's heart about how precious her booty is, that it is not for sale and that she is more, so much more, than her body. Amen."

Meditations on Kimbella, No. 3: While I surely appreciate being "invited" to the party, I don't think I'd know what to do with myself, really. I'd feel very overdressed, I'm sure, by virtue of wearing any clothes at all, it seems. Well, after your party, though, Kimbella, I really would like to chat. Have tea? Go for a walk in the park?

Meditations on Kimbella, No. 4: There will always be smut in this world but I wonder if we as women can collectively aim higher, raise the bar and inspire our sisters to do the same. I imagine Kimbella is good at a lot of things outside the bedroom that she'd like the folks at home to know about. I'd just like to meet her for the first time, under different circumstances. Right now, I've only met her rear end. There's something troubling about that to my heart, though I realize the menfolk find that perfectly convenient.If pigs could fly...

Meditations on Kimbella, No. 5.

“Modesty is the conscience of the body.” - Honore de Balzac





7 comments:

  1. Clever and funny at the same time. I love the Benjamin Franklin quotes. The one about faith is especially true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the name Kimbella! :))) Nice. Making classy sexy! love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Kimbella is just perfect the way she is. But wait......if Kimbella is perfect.....then.......ruh row.........

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What does an all black cast of the movie have to do with anything? Peace & blessings.
    (typos before, sorry)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know, Lady. I just think I'd like to see that movie with an all black cast. Twould be revolutionary. Now I shall go have yet another listen to David Byrne's "Stop Making Sense." Cheers, love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gotcha-was just confused b/c Kimbella's not black.

    Love your blog, btw! :-)

    ReplyDelete