In all this world, there is nothing more important than appreciating the preciousness of our human embodiment and doing all we can to increase health and happiness for ourselves and others - Tarthang Tulku

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Rags, riches, stitches, bitches & Yogiclothing.com

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin.....If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. - Matthew 6:25-34


Did you get all that? Get it? Got it? Good.

The other day I received a new yoga outfit in the mail to sample from Yogiclothing.com. It's always exciting to get mail, especially clothes. I used to be a clothes horse but the yoga kinda took that out of me. I can't be bothered with the noise and stress of shopping anymore except at consignment shops and thrift stores or if I'm overseas, or the occasional spree to buy a dress if there's a need to get gussied up.

I confess this package was beautifully timed, I'm teaching a yoga workshop on Saturday and have been running low on yoga clothes, and voila, I have a new outfit. As my friend Haridas Babajii reminds me, "Sometimes a Prince, sometimes a pauper, but always a servant of God".
I'm getting a little better about embracing our out of control material culture in all its superficiality, excess, and body-obsessed absurdity. Namaste and Exhibit A, friends, Romans, Countrymen, The Real Housewives of New Jersey. Cue , "Everybody's Got A Hungry Heart".



Suffice it to say, Yogiclothing.com is a safe place for a retailphobe like me to start making friends again with the material world. Still I live by that passage from the book of Matthew and it is a message I am most interested in bending the Wallstreet world into digesting, even if I've got to be a blackbird singing in the dead of night or an undercover Ambassador of Yoga armed with incense, bells, Beiber, books and looks to do it. Never say never. How'd that get in there? Hello, lovebug...


Ok, back to the threads. My apologies for the not-so-professional photos but I thought I'd keep it real here. This is where things are right now in the Garden State, we make the best of what's around, me and my lil' Mama (it's her iPhone camera)and anyway I kinda like it this way-- it speaks to the authentically home-grown Jersey Fresh operation that is yours truly and Namaste, Bitches and to the fact that less really is more most of the time. 60% of the time, it works everytime. I keep quotes from Anchorman in my back pocket for the big boys. Silly boy blue.That's one of my favorite Bowie songs.

Anyway, back to wearing the pants: they are Linen Gaucho pants, priced at $77, which is not bad since you could really live in these things and they transition beautifully from yoga studio to dinner with your favorite fashionista devis. They are super comfy and cute and come in many fun colors. Get some. You'll love. How's that, am I sellin' ya? I swear I could probably sell ice in Iceland with a song and a dance. Truly, these are a great find.

The top: I LOVE KARMA screen t-shirt, $27, super soft and cozy. Just make sure you actually understand the word Karma before you sport the thing, otherwise I think the shirt could get you in trouble. As a marketing add-on, may I recommend to the folks at Yogiclothing.com that the shirt should come with a print-out explanation of Karma yoga beyond " you reap what you sow" and perhaps a pocket-sized edition of The Bhagavagita. That would be brilliant.


“But thou, want not! Ask not! Find full reward
Of doing right in right! Let right deeds be
Thy motive, not the fruit which comes from them
.” - Verse 47, Chapter II

I once met a girl who teaches vinyasa yoga who told me she never read The Gita. I think after I hissed and scowled at her in with my angry English teacher face, my heart proceeded to break a little.

My heart breaks a lot and I think maybe that is why I have a weakness for hoodies and for hiding in them. This hoodie goodie is really top notch, white with black spirally stitching on the hood, perfect pockets for snacks and lip gloss...

and a fun little secret cut out on the sleeve for your Tom thumbkin to be free! Yay. Genius! It's not on the Yogiclothing.com site yet, but it will be soon and I think it's around $90.



As one of my favorite yogi teachers in all the land, David Williams says, do the yoga and all is coming......

He practices his yoga in Hawaian shirts and Umbros from the 80s, which is another reason I love him.


Love, light, and Rainbow Brite...

xo
Holly








2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just stumbled upon your blog, and I love it. Your take on life is right up my alley, and I'm sure I've used the phrase "Namaste, Bitches" at least a hundred times in the past year or so (often resulting in strange looks). I must say, I also love that you're reading The Faerie Queen, an under appreciated classic. Thanks for blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pants do sound really lovely, but I just don't think I have it in me to spend $77 on pants! Linen wrinkles like mad, too...Haha, does the $77 include someone to iron them for you?

    ReplyDelete